Here are some questions to guide your reading and journal writing:
- According to Johnson, what is the core view of sociology, or the most important thing he wants us to know? What does the title mean?
- In your own words, what does Mills mean by “the sociological imagination?”
- Why does Becker say that “[w]e can not avoid taking sides?”
- Choose one or two ideas from the readings and show connections to the conversation in class. Based on this introduction to the course, what do you understand sociology to be about?
- How do you think sociology may be useful to understanding our current world? Give an example.